Follow the news on Philippines In response to these repeated attacks on the fourth estate by the Duterte clique, which has managed to corrupt both legislature and judiciary, RSF yesterday launched an international “HoldTheLine” campaign in support of independent media that are trying to hold out in the Philippines. PhilippinesAsia – Pacific Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesMedia independence Freedom of expressionJudicial harassment News Help by sharing this information RSF_en The Philippines is ranked 136th out of 180 countries and territories in RSF’s 2020 World Press Freedom Index, two places lower than in 2019. “The parliamentarians who rejected this request for a new franchise will go down in history as legislators who preferred to support the ruling caste’s personal interests instead of defending the spirit of the 1987 constitution,” said Daniel Bastard, the head of RSF’s Asia-Pacific desk. Rappler and its CEO, Maria Ressa, are also charged with tax evasion and violating the law on foreign investment in the media although even the quickest analysis shows that the cases against them are riddled with legal inconsistencies. Rump parliament Above all, they implied that any decision to give ABS-CBN’s TV channels and radio stations a new franchise would be conditioned on a change in editorial policy and on coverage favourable to the Duterte administration’s nationalist and populist policies. The network refused. News to go further February 16, 2021 Find out more Philippines: RSF and the #HoldTheLine Coalition welcome reprieve for Maria Ressa, demand all other charges and cases be dropped Between the two decisions, ABS-CBN’s representatives argued their cause in a series of 13 hearings lasting a total of around 100 hours. But the committee’s members, most of whom support President Rodrigo Duterte, responded with a range of accusations against the network’s management, including tax evasion and violation of the law on foreign investment in the media. Filipina journalist still held although court dismissed case eleven days ago News Organisation A request by the Philippines’ biggest radio and TV network for a new franchise has been rejected by a congressional committee in a vote that will go down in history as a flagrant violation of the country’s constitution, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said, urging support for the #HoldTheLine coalition as the way to respond. An employee looks at an announcement of a Philippine TV network shutted down on his mobile phone on May 5, 2020. The Lower House Committee on Legislative Franchises drove the final nails into the ABS-CBN network’s coffin on July 10 (photo: Maria TAN / AFP). Repeated attacks TV screens will remain dark and radio sets silent as a result of this morning’s decision by the House Committee on Legislative Franchises to drive the final nails into the ABS-CBN network’s coffin. Last May, the Philippine congress refused to renew the network’s 25-year franchise when it expired. Today the committee voted overwhelmingly, by 70 votes to 11, not to give it a new one. June 1, 2021 Find out more PhilippinesAsia – Pacific Activities in the fieldCondemning abusesMedia independence Freedom of expressionJudicial harassment Receive email alerts July 10, 2020 Duterte’s congressional supporters seal Philippine network’s fate “This vote is like a thunderbolt in the Philippine media landscape’s already troubled sky. It should be noted that, in a sign of how the independent media are persecuted, many of the spurious arguments used by parliamentarians hostile to ABS-CBN were identical to those that government agencies have been using against the Rappler news website.” News Compounding all the previous judicial harassment, Ressa and a former Rappler reporter, Reynaldo Santos Jr, were convicted last month on a Kafkaesque cyber-libel charge carrying a sentence of up to six years in prison. May 3, 2021 Find out more Mass international solidarity campaign launched in support of Maria Ressa An online petition demands the withdrawal of all the spurious charges against Maria Ressa, Rappler and its journalists. This means that ABS-CBN has little chance of getting a new franchise before the end of the current legislature in 2022 – a legislature in which the overwhelming majority behaves likes a rump parliament blindly following the executive.
Premier Foods has launched a limited Roald Dahl-themed range, teaming up new flavours with characters from the author’s classic children’s stories.Last year the manufacturer rolled out Roald Dahl-themed Mr Kipling products exclusively through Tesco, but this year’s collection will be available across grocery, impulse and wholesale channels from today (29 May). The range comprises:• George’s Marvellous Lemon & Raspberry Whirls, rsp £1.00 • Enormous Croc’s Chocolate Mud Pies, rsp £1.00 • The BFG’s Strawbunkle & Cream Fancies, rsp £1.00 • Mr Fox’s Fantastic Forest Fruit Slices, rsp £1.00An on-pack promotion will give shoppers who purchase the cakes the chance to win prizes such as Roald Dahl-inspired holidays and adventure days out.“Following the 5%-plus category growth over the summer period last year, when the packs rolled out exclusively with Tesco and brought new customers to the cake aisle, we’re confident that this year will be the same roaring success,” said Lucy Bailey, marketing controller for Mr Kipling at Premier Foods.Mr Kipling teamed up with agency Coley Porter Bell, which has also designed the core Mr Kipling range, to develop the packs.“Customers will no doubt be drawn to the colourful, fun and charming packaging and campaign,” said James Ramsden, executive creative director at Coley Porter Bell.The core Mr Kipling range is also getting a packaging refresh with an on-pack flash highlighting the summer promotion. read more