OSU womens ice hockey looks to rebound after wakeup call

OSU then-junior defenseman Cara Zubko (2) passes the puck during a game against Minnesota on Nov. 15 at the OSU Ice Rink. OSU lost, 5-3. Credit: Ed Momot / For The LanternAfter dropping both games against the Wisconsin Badgers last weekend, the Ohio State women’s ice hockey team opens its home schedule on Friday against the Minnesota Golden Gophers, winners of last season’s NCAA tournament.The Buckeyes lost both games against Wisconsin by a combined score of 15-0, but spent the following week in practice trying not to dwell on the past.“I think what’s key is to not look back on what’s happened, but to look forward,” senior forward Julia McKinnon said. “Obviously, every team says that at the beginning of the year, but I think we need to focus on D-zone for us most importantly, blocking the shots, looking to get man-on-man.”The difficulty for OSU as it welcomes Minnesota and its high-powered offense is continuing to balance preparing for opponents with the developmental aspects of hockey.“Yes, I can implement systems where the score might have been a little bit closer, but I want our team to get better at being hockey players and knowing what our weaknesses are and what our strengths are,“ OSU coach Jenny Potter said.Eight Golden Gophers are ranked in the top 30 scorers in the country, and Potter spent much of this week preparing her squad for another up-tempo competitor.“We’ve been playing to high speeds in practice, not just stepping in and expecting to be skating that fast, knowing that that team’s coming in,” senior defender Cara Zubko said.Zubko said she believes that at this stage of the season, it was good for both OSU’s newcomers and veterans to receive the lessons that come with back-to-back blowouts on the road.“I think no one goes into the first weekend of the year expecting losses like that.  But I think it was a wake-up call in a good sense that, just because we know we have lots of work to do,” Zubko said.Zubko was not the only member of the program looking to take positives away from its series against Wisconsin, and the team is eager to get right back on the ice tonight against another tough conference opponent.“I think it’s a lesson in life as far as how much work you put in, or lack thereof,” Potter said. “For us as a group, seeing where we are and where we want to go, with Wisconsin being a great team, Frozen Four team last year, ranked No. 2 right now, this team wants to be in those positions, so it’s a stepping stone.”Against Minnesota, OSU will look to compete with one of the best, if not the best, program in the nation. The Golden Gophers set an NCAA record with eight goals in a single period en route to an 11-0 victory over St. Cloud State last Saturday, and are led by freshman forward Sarah Potomak, who ranks fourth in the nation in scoring.But for a glass-half-full team like the Buckeyes, the opportunity to erase memories of last week’s sweep by facing off against another elite team is one not to pass up.“We know we have lots of work to do,” Zubko said. “We can’t look back on that, there’s a lot of hockey and a big season in front of us and we’ll be ready for this weekend.”The Buckeyes drop the puck in Game 1 against Minnesota at 6:07 p.m. on Friday and at 2:07 p.m. on Saturday in Game 2. read more

Continue Reading →

Progress must be made at Man City – Guardiola

first_imgPep Guardiola has warned his players that progress must be continued to be made at Manchester City in order for him to see out his new contractThe Catalan signed a new two-year deal with the Premier League champions on Thursday that he will see remain at the club until the end of the 2020-21 season with his original contract still having a further year remaining.In his nine-year managerial career, Guardiola has spent four years at Barcelona and three at Bayern Munich.The 47-year-old warned that he may also decide to leave City, after a short spell, if they are unable to continue their progress made from this season.“The contract and the manager always depends on the result. We have extended two years to stay for the next three years but we depend on results,” said Guardiola, according to SportsKeeda.norwich city, manchester city, premier leagueReport: City are stunned by Norwich George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Manchester City was stunned by Norwich City in todays Premier League clash.Much has been made in recent days of the potential impact of Aymeric…“In football, what you have done in one year can change absolutely everything. But I have confidence with the club, with the chairman [Khaldoon Al Mubarak], with [director of football] Txiki [Begiristain]. We know [each other] perfectly.“When we feel things are not going well, we are going to change and I am going to make a step back.“I am trying, with all my efforts and desire to avoid that, and instead of making a step back we are going to make a step forward to maintain the level of this club.“We have a contract because we have to have a contract, but the club knows me and when I have the feeling that our relationship with the players is not good I am going to make a step back and another guy is going to come to help the players maintain this high level.”last_img read more

Continue Reading →

Atletico Madrid manager responds to Thibaut Courtoiss comments

first_imgAtletico Madrid manager Diego Simeone has responded to comments made by Thibaut Courtois after the Real Madrid goalkeeper criticized him.The Belgium international accused his former manager of constant attack against the European champions in order to boost his popularity amongst Atletico Madrid supporters.Courtois’s comments came after Croatia captain and Real Madrid teammate, Luka Modric accused Simeone of constantly trying to undermine the Los Blancos after the Argentine said either Antoine Griezmann or Raphael Varane should have won Ballon d’Or ahead of Luka Modric.Speaking in his pre-match press conference ahead of Atletico’s clash against Espanyol on Sunday, Simeone said, as quoted by Goal:Gerard Pique, Neymar, BarcelonaLa Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…“I’m very respectful with him,” he said of Courtois.“I don’t understand what he wanted to say.”Simeone’s Atletico Madrid are currently seated in third position in the Spanish LaLiga, two points ahead of Rivals Real Madrid after 16 round of matches.last_img read more

Continue Reading →

Borough Mayor Proposes Funding Cuts To Schools And Tourism Industry

first_imgThe borough assembly will hold a special meeting on both items at 6 p.m., on July 6. The first line-item veto would cut more than $650,000 in education funding to the Kenai Peninsula Borough School District. This amount was added to the budget by the assembly at its July 6th meeting when the budget was passed. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Kenai Peninsula Borough Mayor introduced two line-item veto items this afternoon, for the agenda at this evenings borough assembly meeting, aimed at cutting funding towards both the school district and the tourism and marketing industry. The mayor is now proposing cutting back to his original proposed funding amount of $100,000. Mayor  Pierce: “We are not in a position to spend more money from the general fund, fund balance without assured additional revenue.”center_img Both items failed to obtain the required 6-3 votes in order to make it on this evenings agenda, citing a lack of adequate time to inform the public. Now, the Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly will be holding a special hearing on the two items on July 6. The second line-item veto targeted by Mayor Pierce was funding towards  the Kenai Peninsula Tourism and Marketing Council. The assembly approved to fund the organization $306,000 in the budget that was approved two weeks ago.last_img read more

Continue Reading →

Get a Theragunlike massage gun for 78

first_img Share your voice 12 Tags If you can overlook the hilariously terrible brand name, this massage gun can really help you overcome muscle pain. Laiwussy Here’s what happened: While on vacation with extended family, my brother-in-law, a personal trainer, showed off his favorite new tool for easing sore muscles. I’d never seen anything like it, nor heard of the brand: Theragun. It looked like a cross between an electric hand-mixer and a cordless drill — and it worked like a massage therapist that never gets tired.Because I have a chronic condition involving pelvic muscles, and because trying to manually massage various trigger points leads to very sore hands, I started investigating these things immediately. Ouch, sore wallet ahead: Theraguns range from $249 to $599.Thankfully, my research revealed many similar “percussive massagers” priced lower. A lot of them were around $200, but I found one for $160 — and thought I’d scored a pretty great deal.Sigh. That was barely two months ago. Now there are tons more copycats, and prices have plummeted. Case in point: The Laiwussy (oy) Muscle Massage Gun is $79.20 when you clip the on-page 8%-off coupon. Regular price: $85. Note that CNET may get a share of revenue from the sale of the products featured on this page.See it at AmazonIf that one sells out, here’s a virtually identical one from Lansi for $79.99. Bottom line: There are now lots of these priced in the $80-$90 range. I’m basically here to introduce you to the product category as a whole.You’ll note that many of these look more like a gun than the actual Theragun, which is more triangular, but the functionality is effectively the same. It has three speeds and comes with four interchangeable massage heads. And it’s cordless, able to run for a couple hours before needing recharging.You also get a carrying case so you can tote the gun wherever you need it — like, say, the gym, to relieve sore muscles right after a workout. (The aforementioned Lansi doesn’t include a case, though it comes with six heads instead of four.)It looks virtually identical to the one I bought, so I have to assume it works just as well. For me, this thing has been genuinely helpful, and in fact I used it just yesterday when I woke up with a nasty pain in my shoulder. Your mileage may vary, of course, and obviously a trained massage therapist is always going to be vastly superior to any machine.Still, if you often get knots that need to be worked out, or you’re finding that foam rollers aren’t getting the post-workout job done (I’ve never liked those), something like this is worth a look — especially considering how affordable they are now. Oh, quick word about the reviews: This one has four, and they’re all bogus, according to Fakespot and ReviewMeta. Many others have no reviews at all. As I said, this is a fairly new category, with lots of new copycats hitting the market. If you want a brand name with reliable reviews, be prepared to spend a lot more.Your thoughts?Read more: 5 wellness devices you’ll want in 2019CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and much more. For the latest deals and updates, follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our FAQ page, and find more great buys on the CNET Deals page. Commentscenter_img Wellness The Cheapskate Best laptops for college students: We’ve got an affordable laptop for every student. Best live TV streaming services: Ditch your cable company but keep the live channels and DVR.last_img read more

Continue Reading →

9yrold killed by police vehicle

first_img(From left to right) 1. A vehicle hits nine-year-old Raj. 2. On-duty policeman talks to a man sitting inside the vehicle. 3. The policeman helps the man flee the scene. 4. Raj succumbs to his injuries at hospital. Illustration: Prothom AloNine-year-old Raj was playing with friends by the roadside in Dayaganj. Suddenly he was hit by a vehicle. Seriously injured, the boy was rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital, but it was too late.The locals stopped the vehicle that hit the boy, but, an on-duty cop helped the vehicle flee the scene as it belonged to police. Later, the police sub-inspector himself left the place with his patrol team. None of the policemen helped to take the injured boy to hospital.The boy was hit on 10 February (Friday) afternoon by a white Toyota Land Cruiser.Raj’s family provided Jatrabari police with the number of the vehicle (Dhaka Metro-D-11-0358). But, Jatrabari police station did not file any cases regarding the accident.Raj’s uncle Kamal said that they were afraid to file any case where the police were involved.”They are influential. We won’t lodge any case,” he told Prothom Alo.The Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) confirmed to Prothom Alo that the vehicle was registered in the name of inspector general of police. It is now being used by additional superintendent of police Golam Azad Khan, transport division of police headquarters told Prothom Alo.Md Salam, another uncle of Raj, said, ”The local people stopped the vehicle after the accident. But on-duty police SI Md Redwan Khan arrived at the scene, talked to someone inside the vehicle and helped him flee the scene.””The man in the vehicle was using a walkie-talkie. Later, Redwan also left the place with his patrol car,” he added.Quoting witnesses Salam said that Raj could have survived if he had been taken to hospital in time. The boy was first rushed to two local hospitals but none of them treated him as it involved an accident, he also said.On the day of the accident, Prothom Alo contacted Jatrabari police station officer-in-charge (OC) Anisur Rahman but he did not want to comment on the incident. Meanwhile, assistant police commissioner (Demra zone) Iftekharul Islam claimed that the vehicle that killed the boy did not belong to the police.SI Redwan Khan did not pick up his phone on Thursday.ASP Golam Azad Khan told Prothom Alo over phone, ”You can be sure that I wasn’t inside the vehicle that day.”Asked who was in the vehicle, the ASP said he was busy in a meeting.Former IGP Nur Mohammad told Prothom Alo that if the accident was done by a policeman, he could not avoid his moral responsibility.*The article originally published in Prothom Alo print edition has been rewritten in English by Imam Hossain.last_img read more

Continue Reading →

Rep Sheppard lauds House passage of legislation to increase transparency

first_img21Sep Rep. Sheppard lauds House passage of legislation to increase transparency 10-bill package will expand FOIA, create Legislative Open Records ActState Rep. Jason Sheppard, R-Temperance, today praised the House’s passage of a comprehensive plan to make the Legislature and governor’s office more transparent.Rep. Sheppard sponsored a bill in the 10-piece package, which creates the Legislative Open Records Act (LORA) and amends the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) by including records from the offices of the governor and lieutenant governor that are subject to public eyes.“FOIA requests are a great tool residents and the media can use to ensure the government is functioning in a responsible manner. The expansions included in our legislation will now give people an opportunity to hold the legislative and executive branches accountable,” Rep. Sheppard said. “Michigan families will have more faith in their government if the men and women they elect to state office are required to provide open access to their records.”The new LORA mirrors the 40-year-old FOIA rules and process, but in a new way that satisfies the Michigan Constitution’s Speech and Debate and Separation of Powers Clauses by preventing the judiciary from intermeddling in legislative operations.To allow for appeals, LORA will use a non-partisan review of disputes by the Legislative Council Administrator. Unlike FOIA, this will not require citizens to pay significant court and attorney fees to appeal an unreasonable fee or denial of their request.House Bills 5469-5478 now head to the Senate for consideration.### Categories: Sheppard Newslast_img read more

Continue Reading →

Alexander Makarov the CEO of Russian pay TV giant

first_imgAlexander Makarov, the CEO of Russian pay TV giant Tricolor TV, has resigned following the expiry of his two-year contract.Tricolor TV, Europe’s largest pay TV operators by subscribers, has named regional development chief Sergey Stavropoltsy as Makarov’s successor on an interim basis.Explaining his departure, which the company said was by mutual agreement, Makarov said he was pleased with the results he had achieved and wanted to work on new projects either in Russia or abroad after a break of some months.Stavropoltsy will serve as acting CEO until the company’s board appoints a permanent replacement. The company will consider him alongside external candidates before taking a decision.Makarov took the helm at Tricolor TV in 2011 and saw the company’s customer base grow by 4.6 million to over 10 million. The company has 3.1 million customers for its premium HD service.last_img read more

Continue Reading →

Belgian operator Belgacom has readded German chan

first_imgBelgian operator Belgacom has re-added German channels ARD (Das Erste) and ZDF to its TV platform after reaching a new agreement with the public broadcasters.Belgacom controversially dropped the channels last year after failing to agree licensing terms with ARD and ZDF.At the time the channels accused Belgacom of not compromising, despite ARD and ZDF making “far-reaching concessions”, with Belgacom apparently asking for a two-year pay freeze for the resupply of the channels.However, reports from last year claimed that Belgacom had offered to pay €500,000 per year-for the channels, but had the sum turned down by the German broadcasters.Financial terms of the new agreement were not disclosed.last_img read more

Continue Reading →