Almost eight weeks after the West Coast Demerara (WCD) access road was discovered to be deteriorating mere months after its official commissioning, the two contractors responsible for the works have completed rehabilitation works.Residents in the Vreed-en-Hoop area, where construction, was ongoing explained that the works were officially completed on Saturday by BK International and Surrey Paving and Aggregate Company Limited.Coordinator/Chief of Works attached to the Public Infrastructure Ministry, Geoffrey Vaughn noted that the Ministry would be looking closely at quality control to ensure that the road met the required standard.Asked if he is concerned about the quality of work done by the contractors,The rehabilitated section of the Vreed-en-Hoop roadVaughn said he was quite satisfied as residents hardly complained of the road not being up to standard. He added that the Ministry will, however, continue to monitor the West Coast roads, and will check with residents to ensure no other section is deteriorating.Guyana Times reported early last month that the companies began drilling holes to surround the sunken area while conducting tests to find out what was the cause.Residents started worrying as the road works began with hardly any reflectors being used in the construction area.In fact, the Police in D Division (West Demerara-East Bank Essequibo) even confirmed the death of a pedestrian in the area.Guyana Times was told that the pedestrian, Rafeek Khan, 46, also known as “Buck Man”, of Plantain Walk, West Bank Demerara succumbed to his injuries on November 15, after he was struck by a motor car while attempting to cross the road from south to north.This newspaper understands that that section of the road began deteriorating as a result of faulty foundation works previously conducted on the newly-commissioned road.A senior Ministry official had made it clear that the contractors were standing the expenses to conduct repairs to the road, under the defect liability clause in the contract.He explained during a telephone interview that the contract has a defect liability period, which means any defects, which develop – in this case over a year’s time – would have to be repaired by the contractors and not the Ministry.The project, which was undertaken to the tune of some $9.7 billion, was only completed this year.
People in Inishowen are keeping their children indoors in the wake of an incident in which two children were approached by a stranger.According to Cllr Ciaran MacLochlainn, parents on the peninsula are living in fear of the worrying incident.Two schoolchildren, one in Bridgend and the other in Buncrana, were approached by a man in a blue or silver-coloured car. The man is reportedly said to have offered them sweets to get into his car.Cllr McLochlainn said “There is a genuine fear and many parents are refusing to allow their children outside the front door.“It may turn out to be an innocent scenario but we must treat it seriously while the Gardai carry out their investigations.“After the horrific situation in Athlone, you simply cannot blame parents for being cautious.” The Sinn Fein Buncrana Town councillor said that many parents are now talking about not allowing their children out to ‘trick or treat’ at Halloween.He appealed to people and businesses to co-operate with Gardai and allow them to get to the bottom of the investigation.“Unfortunately people are having to have ‘that conversation” with their children about stranger danger and the evils that is in today’s world.“But people need to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour and to do simple things like taking note of license plates,” he added. CHILDREN BEING KEPT INDOORS AFTER CHILD ABDUCTION SCARE was last modified: October 4th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:childrenCllr Ciaran MacLochlainnGardaiInishowenpervertsweets