Ports growing despite worries

first_imgIn 2006, two-way trade was valued at $329.4 billion through the twin ports, Los Angeles International Airport and several other points of international trade – collectively known as the Los Angeles Customs District. That was a 12.1 percent increase over the previous year, easily allowing the customs district to retain its No. 1 national ranking. The New York Customs District was second at $295 billion in two-way trade. Because of the nation’s trade deficit, many containers enter the ports loaded and leave empty. When counting only loaded containers, the Port of Los Angeles was the nation’s biggest gainer in traffic last year, recording a 17.5 increase, to 5.72 million loaded TEUs, the study says. The Port of Long Beach was second with a 9 percent increase, to 4.79 million TEUs. The Los Angeles-Long Beach port complex also retained its No. 5 worldwide ranking for total handled containers. Growth at the twin ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will keep going full throttle this year despite concerns about capacity and other issues, according to a study to be released today. Container traffic at the two ports is expected to increase 9.2 percent, to 17.2 million TEUs, or 20-foot equivalent units, says an international trade study by the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. The growth in container traffic this year will be slightly slower than last year’s pace of 11 percent, the study says. “Shippers continue to have confidence in the ability of the ports to handle the traffic,” the report states. Americans’ unrelenting appetite for imports from Asia is driving growth in local port traffic, said Eduardo J. Martinez, an economist who led the LAEDC trade study. “As long as we’re running the trade deficit and Los Angeles remains the main entry point (to Asia), and Asian companies continue to excel in manufacturing, yes, it’s going to continue,” Martinez said of port traffic growth. With container traffic at the twin ports expected to at least double in the next 15 years to 20 years, concern will remain high over capacity, congestion and environmental effects, the report says. The two main rail yards serving the twin ports, Hobart Yard and BNSF, are approaching their intended capacity. However, BNSF is developing a near-dock rail facility to move containers onto trains using the Alameda Corridor express freight rail lines. This new facility would likely reduce truck traffic on the Long Beach Freeway and decrease pressure on the Hobart Yard, the study says. Despite attempts to clean up the air, port pollution remains a major worry for the surrounding communities. This makes plans to increase port capacity a tricky political balancing act, Martinez said. “It becomes a political process … that may drag out,” Martinez said. “The pressure in the room is not going away. It’s actually increasing. So it gives it a bit of urgency.” Even without an increase in capacity, shippers from Asia have few options beyond the twin ports because other Western U.S. ports “don’t have the capacity,” Martinez said. However, a long-term shortage of capacity at the Los Angeles and Long Beach harbors could prompt competing ports such as in Washington state to invest in greater capacity. The study also says direct international trade created 35,000 additional jobs last year in Los Angeles County and the four surrounding counties. muhammed.el-hasan@dailybreeze.com (310) 543-6175160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Continue Reading →

Chelsea open talks over Kante move, West Ham put £100m tag on Payet – GOSSIP

first_imgHere are the top transfer-related stories in Tuesday’s newspapers and online…Chelsea have started formal talks with Leicester over the signing of France international midfielder N’Golo Kante. (Daily Telegraph)West Ham have put a staggering £100million price tag on playmaker Dimitri Payet to put off potential bidders. (Daily Mirror)Liverpool are now NOT interested in signing Bayern Munich midfielder Mario Gotze, and will leave Tottenham and Borussia Dortmund to compete for the 24-year-old. (Liverpool Echo)Meanwhile, Crystal Palace target Christian Benteke is NOT on the brink of leaving Liverpool, according to the striker’s agent. (Evening Standard)Bastian Schweinsteiger, Juan Mata, Marcos Rojo and Daley Blind have all been told they can leave Manchester United by new boss Jose Mourinho (Daily Record)LaLiga club Villarreal will rival Everton for the signing of Mata. (Super Deporte)Graziano Pelle’s move from Southampton to Chinese side Shandong Luneng has made the 30-year-old striker the sixth highest-paid player in the world on £260,000 a week. (The Sun)Manchester City are prepared to trigger Atletico Madrid defender Lucas Hernandez’s release clause by launching a £20m bid. (The Sun)West Ham are confident of signing AC Milan striker Carlos Bacca in a £26m deal. (The Guardian)Here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Manchester United target Paul Pogba is ‘very happy at Juventus and NOT desperate to move’ – Mino RaiolaNo Manchester United return for Cristiano Ronaldo – ‘He’ll retire at Real Madrid’, close friend Jose Semedo tells talkSPORTNewcastle United put staggering £35million price tag on wantaway France midfielder Moussa SissokoTottenham transfer news: Mauricio Pochettino wants World Cup winner Mario Gotze as marquee summer signingInsider Trading: Arsenal will not entertain ANY offers for Alexis Sanchez, plus Pogba, Berahino and Sissoko latestTransfer latest: AZ Alkmaar striker Vincent Janssen set for medical as he edges closer to long-awaited Spurs switchCrystal Palace working on £3m deal for Davide Santon after proposed Sunderland move falls throughlast_img read more

Continue Reading →

DDTV: BURT CLAIM THEIR 35TH DONEGAL SENIOR HURLING TITLE

first_imgGoals were the order of the day as Burt overcame old rivals MacCumhaills to win their 35th Donegal Senior hurling title at O’Donnell Park in Letterkenny today.DonegalTV were on hand to capture Burt’s fourth title in a row. Simply click on the video to view. DDTV: BURT CLAIM THEIR 35TH DONEGAL SENIOR HURLING TITLE was last modified: September 27th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BURTdonegalHURLINGMacCumhaillsO’Donnell Parklast_img read more

Continue Reading →