Guiao sees ‘game-changer’ SC ruling on PSC share of Pagcor profits

first_imgMOST READ Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf PLAY LIST 01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief “The training environment is better, there’s less distractions and you can really focus on your preparation,” said Huelgas.The national sports program has long been hampered by a lack of solid funding and sports officials have always pointed to that as the reason for every debacle Team Philippines sufferes in the SEA Games, Asian Games or the Olympics.And Guiao hopes a favorable Supreme Court ruling can remedy that situation.“There’s no other way to interpret the [PSC] law,” said Guiao. “The wording is very specific when it comes to the PSC’s share of Pagcor’s revenues.”“I’m hoping we can get a ruling this year,” Guiao added. “At the latest, we’re looking at early next year. Our lawyers are constantly working on it.” LATEST STORIES Archers, Tams brawl again in preseason, this time in Davao City LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games NLEX coach Yeng Guiao. (File photo by TRISTAN TAMAYO / INQUIRER.net)NLEX coach Yeng Guiao said he is optimistic that the Supreme Court will rule in favor of a petition he filed that seeks to compel the Philippine Gaming and Amusement Corp. (Pagcor) to remit to the Philippine Sports Commission its full share of the gaming agency’s earnings.Guiao said a favorable ruling by the Supreme Court could be a “game changer” for Philippine sports.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next LIST: Class, gov’t work suspensions during 30th SEA Games Last year, for example, Pagcor grossed P55.06 billion in revenues—a record for the agency.But the PSC’s share from that pie amounted to P1.26 billion. While that was an increase of P235 million remitted to the PSC in 2015, it was still way off the approximately P2.8 billion that the sports-funding agency should have gotten.Guiao said the money deficit his resolution would cover will provide the PSC with additional funding, not only for the training of elite athletes from targeted sports and the building of a wide grassroots base but also give sports officials the chance to put up a sports training facility outside Metro Manila.“We can, for example, seriously study building a training center in Clark,” said Guiao.Triathlon star Nikko Huelgas, the Southeast Asian Games gold medalist who was with Guiao on the show, admitted that training outside of Metro Manila was a huge factor in his successful bid to rule the biennial meet in back-to-back editions.ADVERTISEMENT View comments “It is a big boost to the perennial problem of having too little funds for our sports programs,” said Guiao Thursday, behind the scenes of his guesting on Sports IQ, the Inquirer’s multi-platform live sports talk show.“If the Supreme Court rules in our favor, and I’m optimistic it will, that will be a game changer,” he added.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSection 26 of Republic Act 6847, the law that created the PSC, clearly states that “5 percent of Pagcor’s gross income shall be automatically remitted directly to the PSC.”“All the PSC is getting right now is less than 2.5 percent of Pagcor’s earnings,” Guiao later explained during the show. “That means the PSC is getting below half of what it is lawfully theirs.” Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. SEA Games: PH’s Alisson Perticheto tops ice skating short programlast_img read more

Continue Reading →

10 months agoSteven Sessegnon delighted with new Fulham contract

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorChris BeattieShare the loveHave your say Steven Sessegnon delighted with new Fulham contractby Chris Beattie10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveSteven Sessegnon has signed a new deal with Fulham.The 18-year-old has agreed a deal which keeps him at Craven Cottage until the summer of 2022, with a Club option to extend by a further 12 months.Having come through the Academy since joining as an Under-9 alongside twin brother Ryan, Steven penned his first professional contract with Fulham last summer.“It feels very good,” Sessegnon told fulhamfc.com. “It’s something I’ve been working towards for the last few months and it feels amazing to get it done and over the line.“You could say the first [pro deal] was very special but this one has shown all the hard work I’ve done personally, not just with this Club but with international success as well. It is rewarding helping contribute to the progression of Fulham.“This can only motivate me to keep working harder. I will carry on doing as I am and keep on heading towards the next one.“Hopefully I can make my league debut very soon, but over time I need to keep working hard and knuckling down and see what happens.“You can’t rush this sort of thing. I’m going to take my chance, whenever it might come.“The Millwall game in the Carabao Cup was a great feeling for me. That was something I’m not used to, but one that will push me on, and spur me on in the future to achieve great things.” last_img read more

Continue Reading →

10 months agoTottenham attacker Son: Only bad luck stopping trophy push

first_imgTottenham attacker Son: Only bad luck stopping trophy pushby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham attacker Heung-Min Son says they deserve to win a trophy this season.The South Korean – who has now scored 10 goals in his last 10 games – believes all Tottenham need is a change in fortune to land their first silverware under Mauricio Pochettino.”We are just a bit unlucky for me, to be honest,” he said. “We are close all the time.”People are thinking ‘ahhh it’s Spurs’, but we believe, always this team believe in the title, but sometimes you just have to have luck, with a long season.”We can win, we deserve to win. The players deserve to win something.”Of course the pressure is going to be big [to win the title] but we have to just enjoy and bring positive energy, this is the most important.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Continue Reading →

700 Jobs Safe as Norway Says No to Color Line Reflagging

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pixabay under CC0 Creative Commons license The Norwegian Government has ruled against the reflagging of Color Line vessels under the Norwegian International Ship Register (NIS) flag, thereby securing jobs for 700 Norwegian seafarers.The Norwegian Seafarers Union (NSU), an affiliate of the International Transport Workers’ Federation, won the fight to keep the vessels under the Norwegian Ordinary Ship Register (NOR), securing the jobs and maintaining the wages and conditions of the country’s seafarers.“This result means that Color Line – a profitable shipping company – cannot replace national seafarers with cheaper foreign labour,” Johnny Hansen, NSU president, told the ITF.“Enforcing and maintaining cabotage safeguards our strategic interests, provides jobs, brings added economic value while also protecting national security and the environment,” Hansen added.last_img read more

Continue Reading →