RIGHTS: Bush fights Texas to halt Mexican’s death in test of power. By Mark Sherman THE ASSOCIATED PRESS WASHINGTON – To put it bluntly, Texas wants President Bush to get out of the way of the state’s plan to execute a Mexican for the brutal killing of two teenage girls. Texas argues strenuously that neither the international court nor Bush, his Texas ties notwithstanding, has any say in Mede- llin’s case. Ted Cruz, the Texas solicitor general, said the administration’s position would “allow the president to set aside any state law the president believes is inconvenient to international comity.” The Supreme Court will hear arguments in the case Wednesday. Medellin was born in Mexico but spent much of his childhood in the United States. He was 18 in June 1993, when he and other members of the Black and Whites gang in Houston encountered Jennifer Ertman and Elizabeth Pena on a railroad trestle as the girls were taking a shortcut home. Ertman, 14, and Pena, 16, were gang-raped and strangled. Their bodies were found four days later. Medellin was arrested a few days after the killings. He was told he had a right to remain silent and have a lawyer present, but the police did not tell him that he could request assistance from the Mexican consulate under the 1963 treaty. Medellin gave a written confession. He was convicted of murder in the course of a sexual assault, a capital offense in Texas. A judge sentenced him to death in October 1994. Medellin did not raise the lack of assistance from Mexican diplomats during his trial or sentencing. When he did assert that his rights had been violated, Texas and federal courts turned him down because he had not objected at his trial. Then, in 2003, Mexico sued the United States in the International Court of Justice in The Hague on behalf of Medellin and 50 other Mexicans on death row in the U.S. who also had been denied access to their country’s diplomats following their arrests. Mexico has no death penalty. Mexico and other opponents of capital punishment have sought to use the court, also known as the World Court, to fight for foreigners facing execution in the U.S. The international court ruled for Mexico in 2004, saying the sentences and convictions should be reviewed by U.S. courts. Medellin’s case was rejected by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. The Supreme Court agreed to hear his appeal. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityBush, who allowed 152 executions as governor of Texas, wants to halt the execution of Jose Ernesto Mede- llin in what has become a confusing test of presidential power that the Supreme Court ultimately will sort out. The president wants to enforce a decision by the International Court of Justice that found the convictions of Medellin and 50 other Mexican-born prisoners violated their rights to legal help as outlined in the 1963 Vienna Convention. That is the same court Bush has since said he plans to ignore if it makes similar decisions affecting state criminal laws. “The president does not agree with the ICJ’s interpretation of the Vienna Convention,” the administration said in arguments filed with the court. This time, though, the U.S. agreed to abide by the international court’s decision because ignoring it would harm American interests abroad, the government said.
Jose Mourinho has not even been officially announced as Manchester United manager yet but already he has outlined who he wants to bring to the club.The incoming Red Devils boss is thought to be intent on using his agent Jorge Mendes’ connections and clients to bring in some of the top players around Europe, with attack his main focus.On the other hand, he also has a number of current players to make a decision about as he begins his ruthless restructuring of the Old Trafford club in attempt to remould them into Premier League champions.talkSPORT have rounded up all the rumours surrounding Mourinho’s United targets and also the futures of some of the current Red Devils stars.Click the arrow above, right, to see the who could be making up Mourinho’s first team squad next season. David De Gea happy to stay – The Manchester Evening News have revealed that De Gea is happy to stay at the club now Mourinho is in charge. The goalkeeper was to seek a move away from Old Trafford had Van Gaal remained as boss but he is now keen to strike up a better rapport with Mourinho than he had with the Dutchman. 6 Karim Benzema identified as Mourinho’s top target – click the arrow, right, to see more Manchester United transfer rumours – Mourinho has identified Karim Benzema as his transfer priority this season, say the Independent. The incoming United boss managed the Frenchman during his time at Real Madrid and Benzema was pictured with a Red Devils crest in his house on his Instagram earlier this week. A Cristiano Ronaldo reunion? – The Portuguese superstar is available for £80m this summer, report the Daily Star. His agent, who also represents Mourinho, is the key driving force in the deal and has reportedly told United he can secure the deal as long as the Red Devils want Ronaldo, who is now 31 years old. 6 Three-way John Stones battle? – However, the Telegraph claim Mourinho will face a battle if he is to bring Stones to Old Trafford to partner Chris Smalling. Mourinho failed in his £40m attempt to sign him for Chelsea last summer and this time around he faces stiff competition from Pep Guardiolas Manchester City as well as Barcelona. 6 Zlatan Ibrahimovic to be first through the door – Free agent Ibrahimovic is almost certain to become Mourinhos first signing at Old Trafford and the Mail report the Sweden captain will demand £200,000-a-week over a two-year contract, as well as a signing-on fee of £8m. 6 Juan Mata has no problem with Mourinho’s arrivial – The MEN also understand Mata has no issues with Mourinho taking over as manager despite being jettisoned and eventually sold by the Portuguese while the pair were at Chelsea. While Mata would have preferred an alternative to the former Real Madrid manager, he is happy at the club and does not want to leave. 6 6