The International Olympic Committee wants to keep considering changes that could result in both the 2024 and 2028 Summer Games awarded in September. An internal letter written by IOC President Thomas Bach’s spokesman suggests further adjustments are needed in the way Olympic hosts are chosen. It references Bach’s statement from last year, saying the “process produces too many losers”. In December, Bach floated the idea of awarding both the 2024 Games, as scheduled, along with the 2028 Games. Los Angeles and Paris are the remaining candidates from a list that began with five cities. Budapest, Hungary, said this week it was withdrawing. The letter, obtained yesterday by the Associated Press (AP), was first reported by Inside The Games. In an interview last week with the AP, Bach said continued speculation about awarding two Olympics at the IOC’s meeting in September “may give us some ideas”. “This procedure as it is … our political environment in such a fragile world just produces too many losers,” Bach said last Saturday. The letter echoed that phrasing, saying “the political situation in our fragile world requires us to further adjust the candidature procedure”. The IOC acknowledged Budapest’s withdrawal, which will be made official by Hungary’s Olympic committee. “It is clear that a promising Olympic Games candidature has been used to promote a broader domestic political agenda beyond the Olympic Games and was overtaken by local politics,” said the letter, written by Bach’s spokesman, Mark Adams. Adams defended Bach’s ‘Agenda 2020’, the core of which was to streamline the Olympics and make bidding more attractive and less expensive for cities. “All three candidates have made it clear that their candidatures would not have taken place without Olympic Agenda 2020,” Adams wrote. Still, the dwindling of the candidate pool raised questions about whether Agenda 2020 was really working. The point of the letter was that Agenda 2020 was only the start and more reforms are needed. If those reforms involve awarding the next two Summer Games this year, it will be a hard sell for both Paris and Los Angeles, each having insisted its proposals are good for only 2024. Replicating plans for 2028 would be possible but would also take significant retooling since many of the contracts in place for development and stadium use are for only the 2024 Olympics. FRAGILE WORLD
Now Sala, 28, is feared dead after French authorities confirmed that he was on board a light aircraft that disappeared over the English Channel on Monday night, just north of the island of Guernsey.He was on his way from Nantes back to Wales, having signed a lucrative three-and-a-half-year contract in Cardiff on Saturday. “For me it feels special,” he said of being Cardiff’s record signing.It was a move that looked in doubt at one point, with Sala having previously expressed a desire to join a club involved in European competition in the event of a transfer away from Nantes, the eight-time French champions.An imposing physical presence but also adept with his feet, Sala left Ligue 1 having scored 12 goals this season, a tally currently bettered only by Paris Saint-Germain’s superstar trio of Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani, as well as Nicolas Pepe of Lille.– Little known back home –That tally also matched his statistics for each of the last two campaigns, and only a certain Lionel Messi has scored more goals this season among Argentine players in the big five European leagues.Despite that, Sala has never played for his country and remains little known back in his homeland — an article on the website of popular sports daily Ole on Tuesday carried the headline: “Who is Emiliano Sala?”That is because, like many talented young footballers in Argentina, Sala left for Europe at such a young age.Sala left his native Argentina for Europe when he joined Bordeaux in 2010 © AFP/File / LOIC VENANCEBorn in the province of Santa Fe, Sala developed as a player at Proyecto Crecer (Growth Project), an academy based in the town of San Francisco, four hours north of the capital Buenos Aires.The academy has a partnership with Bordeaux, and Sala is one of a handful of players to have gone from there to the French side. Another, midfielder Valentin Vada, is currently in their first-team squad.Having joined Bordeaux aged 20 in 2010, Sala never really broke into their first team, but he had prolific spells on loan in the French lower leagues, including at Niort in Ligue 2.After another loan stint at Ligue 1 side Caen, Sala was sold to Nantes in 2015 and quickly became a fan favourite for his performances in the famous yellow shirt of the Canaries.“People see the way he fights for every ball. That encourages his teammates to do the same. He is a good example for everyone,” said Claudio Ranieri, his coach at Nantes last season.Despite Sala’s importance to Nantes, he was keen to move on, and club president Waldemar Kita was keen to cash in on a player whose contract was due to expire in 2020.Having finally put pen to paper on his move to Cardiff, Sala was back at Nantes’ Joneliere training base on Monday to collect his belongings and wave goodbye to his former teammates before departing for Wales again.He would have been hoping to make his Premier League bow away at Arsenal next Tuesday.“@EmilianoSala1, forever in yellow and green,” tweeted Nantes on Monday evening, along with the hashtag #MerciEmi.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Emiliano Sala in action for Nantes earlier this season © AFP/File / SEBASTIEN SALOM GOMISNANTES, France, Jan 22 – “Everyone is happy, except me,” said the Nantes coach Vahid Halilhodzic last week as he accepted that his leading scorer, Emiliano Sala, was leaving the club in a record transfer to Premier League side Cardiff City.The Welsh club had agreed to pay a reported £15 million (17 million euros; $19.3 million) for the 1.87m-tall Argentine forward, hoping that his eye for goal would fire them to Premier League safety.
A citizen advisory committee has recommended millions of dollars worth of road projects to be completed in Tuscaloosa County.The 24-member committee met Dec. 11 at the West Alabama Regional Commission in Northport to approve recommending the long-range budget and transportation projects that will satisfy a $700 million budget.The budget will be spread out over the course of 25 years. The projects are federally funded and have mostly been sitting in planning stages until now.“We’re working with the same projects we’ve worked with before,” Davis Norris of the West Alabama Regional Commission said. “The past two projects on the interstate, some on U.S. 82, McFarland Boulevard.”The recommendations will now go to the Metropolitan Planning Committee. They will then review the information and pass their recommendations to the Policy Committee, which will ultimately give the final approval.