IOC suggests more Olympic host bidding changes

first_imgThe International Olympic Committee wants to keep considering changes that could result in both the 2024 and 2028 Summer Games awarded in September. An internal letter written by IOC President Thomas Bach’s spokesman suggests further adjustments are needed in the way Olympic hosts are chosen. It references Bach’s statement from last year, saying the “process produces too many losers”. In December, Bach floated the idea of awarding both the 2024 Games, as scheduled, along with the 2028 Games. Los Angeles and Paris are the remaining candidates from a list that began with five cities. Budapest, Hungary, said this week it was withdrawing. The letter, obtained yesterday by the Associated Press (AP), was first reported by Inside The Games. In an interview last week with the AP, Bach said continued speculation about awarding two Olympics at the IOC’s meeting in September “may give us some ideas”. “This procedure as it is … our political environment in such a fragile world just produces too many losers,” Bach said last Saturday. The letter echoed that phrasing, saying “the political situation in our fragile world requires us to further adjust the candidature procedure”. The IOC acknowledged Budapest’s withdrawal, which will be made official by Hungary’s Olympic committee. “It is clear that a promising Olympic Games candidature has been used to promote a broader domestic political agenda beyond the Olympic Games and was overtaken by local politics,” said the letter, written by Bach’s spokesman, Mark Adams. Adams defended Bach’s ‘Agenda 2020’, the core of which was to streamline the Olympics and make bidding more attractive and less expensive for cities. “All three candidates have made it clear that their candidatures would not have taken place without Olympic Agenda 2020,” Adams wrote. Still, the dwindling of the candidate pool raised questions about whether Agenda 2020 was really working. The point of the letter was that Agenda 2020 was only the start and more reforms are needed. If those reforms involve awarding the next two Summer Games this year, it will be a hard sell for both Paris and Los Angeles, each having insisted its proposals are good for only 2024. Replicating plans for 2028 would be possible but would also take significant retooling since many of the contracts in place for development and stadium use are for only the 2024 Olympics. FRAGILE WORLDlast_img read more

Continue Reading →

MAN WITH 89 CONVICTIONS CAUGHT DRIVING VAN ON BOTH SIDES OF ROAD

first_imgLetterkenny court.A 39 year old man who was spotted swerving across a white line in his van and caused other cars to stop has been ordered to undergo a probation report.Thomas Mongan, of An Gleann Rua, Killylastin, Letterkenny, appeared at Letterkenny District Court today charged with driving under the influence of an intoxicant. Mongan, who has 89 previous convictions, was spotted by a member of the public driving irrationally at Dunwiley, Stranorlar on June 12th, 2015.The person contacted Gardai who attended the scene and attempted to stop Mongan.He was seen crossing both sides of the white line and despite activating their sirens and lights, Mongan failed to stop.Cars coming in the opposite direction were forced to stop and pull out of the way of Mongan’s van.Gardai eventually pulled up alongside Mongan’s van and he stopped his vehicle.Solicitor Frank Dorrian told the court that his client was in the process of moving house when he was stopped by Gardai and had moved from Galway to start a new life.He said his client was now under the care of the Donegal Mental Health Services.The court heard how Mongan had been disqualified on a number of occasions for drink driving over the years.Judge Paul Kelly described Mongan’s criminal record as atrocious and adjourned the matter until March 14th to get a probation report on the matter.MAN WITH 89 CONVICTIONS CAUGHT DRIVING VAN ON BOTH SIDES OF ROAD was last modified: January 7th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalJudge Paul KellyLETETRKENNY DISTRICT COURTThomas Monganlast_img read more

Continue Reading →