0Shares0000Harambee Starlets players line up before their game against Equatorial Guinea at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 16 – The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has rejected Football Kenya federation’s appeal over the inclusion of Equatorial Guinea back into the African Women’s Cup of Nations (AWCON) at their expense.According to the federation, CAS wrote to them Friday morning informing them of the decision, but the federation through its communication chief Barry Otieno says they will still pursue the case. “The final decision by the President of the Appeals Division was to unfortunately reject our application for provisional measures, and we fully understand and respect the decision of the CAS,” FKF said in its statement.The Federation had sought provisional measures over CAF to incorporate Kenya into the Cup of Nations which begins on Saturday in Ghana or failing to this, injunct and suspend the entire tournament until a rightful decision has been made.But the prayers were thrown out by the Swiss based court meaning Equatorial Guinea’s participation in the Cup of Nations remains valid.“Our appeal against CAF is still open, and we will continue to fight for justice to be done in some way, to repair the harm that has been caused to our Starlets, and the people of our nation. We will continue to fight at CAS in order to demonstrate that we as a federation will not sit back and simply accept routine and blatant regulatory breaches that impact the progression of our teams, national or otherwise,” further stated the stern worded statement from Kandanda House.It is a huge heartbreak for Starlets who had already gone into camp for the tournament and had also played a friendly match against Ghana’s Black Queens in readiness for their second appearance at the tournament.FKF had moved to the Arbitration court to protest Equatorial Guinea’s inclusion in the tournament by the CAF Appeals Board with the regional body’s disciplinary board having suspended them for fielding an ineligible player in the two-legged qualifier against Kenya.However, the West Africans still remain suspended by FIFA over the same wrongdoing and even if they finish in the top three at the AWCON, they will not qualify for next year’s World Cup in France.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
In the solo women’s category, Dalene van der Leek won Saturday’s stage but ended up as the overall runner-up behind Germany’s Bettina Uhlig, who captured five stage wins in total. Mixed categoryCube Nutswerk MTB’s Birgit Lavrijssen (Ned) and Marco Minnaard (Ned) grabbed their fourth stage win and the overall title in the mixed category on Saturday. Final stageAsrin Cycling’s James Reid (RSA) and Jens Schuermans (Bel) won the final stage of the seven-day international mountain bike stage race from George to Oudtshoorn, which was shortened to 68km due to flooding in some areas. They outsprinted SCOTT Factory Racing’s Philip Buys (RSA) and Matthys Beukes (RSA) to secure their third stage win of the event, while third place on the stage went to EAI Cycling’s Hanco Kachelhoffer (RSA) and Johann Rabie (RSA). Masters’ categoryWilde 3’s Izak Visagie and Lieb Loots dominated the masters’ category. The South Africans won all but Saturday’s final stage, finishing second to Brug Meesters’ Charles Nienaber (RSA) and Ergee du Toit (RSA). Loots and Visagie’s overall winning margin more than two hours ahead of Stone Hammer’s Malcolm Dods (GBR) and Zbigniew Wizner (Swe), with Nienaber and Du Toit rounding out the final overall podium. Woolcock and Kleinhans finished fourth, 54 seconds behind the winners but with their overall lead firmly secure. They ended up beating runners-up Buys and Beukes by almost 10 minutes, with FedGroup Itec’s Brandon Stewart (RSA) and Konny Looser (Sui) completing the podium. South African Darren Lill won his third stage in the solo men’s division on Saturday, but Adriaan Louw (RSA), the winner of the other four stages, claimed the overall title. “This was probably the toughest week of my bike racing life. The tougher stages were on the four good weather days and the easier stages were made tough by the rain and mud! ‘A great feeling’“It’s a great feeling to win here again. We had some really strong competition, which makes the win even more special,” added Kleinhans, who won the inaugural edition with Jonny Kritzinger in 2009 and the mixed division with his wife Ariane in 2011. Team RE:CM’s Waylon Woolcock and Erik Kleinhans secured a South African victory in the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek in rain-drenched Oudtshoorn on Saturday, with the women’s title going to the Team RE:CM Davinci combination of Denmark’s Annika Langvad and Switzerlands’s Ariane Kleinhans. “The racing was the most exciting we’ve seen yet and a great precursor to the 2014 event, which will have official UCI race grading.” “It’s a great feeling to win what has been a really tough race. Annika was an amazing partner and so strong throughout,” said Ariane Kleinhans. “It’s been a dramatic and challenging fifth edition of the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek, but a watershed edition for sure,” Henco Rademeyer of Dryland Event Management, the race’s co-founder, said in a statement on the weekend. They fought a race-long battle with Asrin Cycling 3’s 2012 winners, Jennie Stenerhag (Swe) and Craig Gerber (RSA), who finished as 2013 runners-up. Third place went to Asrin Cycling 2’s Nizaam Esa (RSA) and Catherine Williamson (GBR). 28 October 2013 The veteran division title also went to the Netherlands. The Cube Nutswerk 2 team of Micha de Vries and Rik van den Hanenberg finished second on Saturday to Klein Karoo Vets’ Wynand Mulder (RSA) and Gerrie Beukes (RSA), but the Dutchmen had done enough on the previous six stages to capture the overall title ahead of Mulder and Beukes. Cannondale Blend Vets’ Martin Epstein (RSA) and Stefano Madies (RSA) were third overall. “We knew some teams were going to go hard for the stage win and that Philip and Matthys wanted to attack our overall lead, so we really had to make sure we kept them in our sights and kept our risk of crashing or mechanicals as low as possible,” Erik Kleinhans said after securing the overall victory. “The women’s field was stronger than ever before this year and we never once were able to let our guard down. It’s great to see this women’s category growing in depth and I’m sure this growth will continue in the future.” Women’s raceIn the women’s race, Langvad, the Danish marathon champion, and Kleinhans, the Swiss marathon champion, confirmed their complete dominance of the event when they claimed their seventh stage win. They beat Wheeler BMC’s Esther Suss (Sui) and Jane Nuessli (GBR) by more than an hour and 35 minutes in the general classification, with defending champions, Klein Karoo Chicks’ Yolande Speedy (RSA) and Yolande de Villiers (RSA), taking third place overall.
Kings XI Punjab left-arm spinner Axar Patel said the dressing room environment was not good after their team’s last-over loss to Kolkata Knight Riders yesterday. (IPL Full Coverage|Points Table) KKR, who were playing their first home game after five away matches, rode on Andre Russell’s spell of 4/20 to seal a last-over thriller. Axar feels they were on course for a win till things went horribly wrong in the last over when they lost three wickets to concede defeat.After Glenn Maxwell’s 42-ball 68, Axar brightened KXIP’s hopes in a 165-run chase with his 21-run cameo off seven balls, but Russell’s tight last over meant that they fell short by seven runs as KKR reclaimed the top spot.”Russell did well in the fielding and ran me out, we lost three wickets in the last over and the match got of our hands,” Axar told reporters at the post-match press conference.”We were satisfied with our bowling, the target was within our reach. We also did well in the death overs. We were keeping in mind a target of about 170-175. But it was difficult to recover from being three down (in 3.1 overs) and the run rate slowed down. If you don’t have wickets in hand, you feel the pressure in the end.””We got off to a wrong start. It brought our downfall. But when we started building a partnership, they fielded well and the match got out of our hands.”Asked about the mood in the camp, he said: “Obviously, team morale goes down when you start losing. It was a close finish but we were on a high after beating Gujarat Lions in the previous match. There’s not much of a change but you don’t enjoy the dressing room environment. Everyone tries to stay relax as it’s a long tournament.advertisementIt’s not that you’re out of contention after a few losses. We try to relax so that we can concentrate on our next match and give 100 per cent.”He further stressed the IPL was a great opportunity for Indian youngsters.”IPL gives a very good opportunity to the youngsters and the Indian players. I also got picked for the Indian team for the first time after playing in the IPL. It’s crucial for every youngster as nobody is seen properly in Ranji matches.But here your performances are noticed widely and you get an opportunity.””I don’t think too far ahead and try to concentrate on my strengths as a bowler and batsman. I’m just taking one game at a time to boost my confidence. I try to focus on my strengths, try to focus on slow ball and bowl in the right areas.”(With PTI inputs)
ARLINGTON, Texas — Alex Rodriguez had quite a 40th birthday bash.A-Rod became the fourth player in major league history to homer as a teen and in his 40s, marking his birthday by lining an opposite-field shot to right against his former team to help the New York Yankees beat the Texas Rangers 6-2 on July 27.“It’s amazing, hitting one as a teenager and hitting one here today,” Rodriguez said. “A lot has happened, and I’m just happy to be here.”Ty Cobb, Rusty Staub and Gary Sheffield are the only other players to homer before turning 20 and then at age 40 or after, according to STATS.“It’s remarkable what he’s been able to do, and how good he was at such a young age, and he continues to play well at an older age,” Yankees Manager Joe Girardi said.Rodriguez has 24 homers this season and 678 in his career, fourth on the all-time list. The latest came two days after he went deep three times against Minnesota in his previous game.“Very impressive, but you know we’re not surprised by much that he does anymore,” said third baseman Chase Headley, now playing the position A-Rod had in New York before his season-long suspension a year ago for violations of baseball’s drug agreement and labor contract.A-Rod’s solo drive in the sixth off Matt Harrison (1-2) was the designated hitter’s big league-best sixth homer on his birthday, STATS said, breaking a tie with Todd Helton, Chipper Jones, Derrek Lee and Al Simmons.“Yeah, it’s pretty depressing being 40. I’ve had a lot of texts and emails that I’ve joined an exclusive club,” Rodriguez said. “But I’m definitely grateful and happy.”When he was traded to the Yankees before spring training in 2004, Rodriguez was only three seasons into the $252 million, 10-year contract he signed with Texas after starting his career with Seattle from 1994-2000. He got a $275 million, 10-year deal from New York after the 2007 season.Didi Gregorius had a career-high four RBIs and matched his best with three hits, including a two-run homer in the third. His two-run single in the seventh made it 6-2.The AL East-leading Yankees won for the seventh time in eight games, and their seven-game division lead is their largest since leading by 7 1/2 games on July 29, 2012. New York’s 15-5 record in July is the best in the majors.Ivan Nova (3-3) allowed two runs and five hits in five innings. Chasen Shreve, Justin Wilson and Dellin Betances followed with hitless relief.Harrison gave up six runs and six hits in six innings, his third start since coming back from spinal fusion surgery.“I feel like I didn’t get loose until about the fifth inning,” he said. “The third inning I made some bad pitches to start that inning off and got some trouble there. After us scoring the two runs I went and gave it back to them, gave the momentum right back.”(STEPHEN HAWKINS, AP Sports Writer)TweetPinShare0 Shares
NAIROBI, Kenya — A Canadian national and four other people suspected of helping extremist gunmen stage a deadly attack in the Kenyan capital this week appeared in court on Friday as prosecutors investigated them for suspected terror offences.A judge ordered the five suspects held for 30 days while authorities look into the assault on the dusitD2 hotel complex. The al-Shabab group, which is linked to al-Qaida and based in neighbouring Somalia, claimed responsibility. Kenyan authorities say 21 people, including one police officer, were killed by the attackers, one of whom blew himself up beside a restaurant. Another four gunmen died.Prosecutors suspect the alleged accomplices, including two taxi drivers and an agent for a mobile-phone-based money service, of aiding the attackers who stormed the Nairobi complex on Tuesday afternoon and were killed by Wednesday morning, according to a court document. Prosecutors said they were pursuing more suspects in and outside Kenya.The suspects who appeared in court were identified as Guleid Abdihakim, Joel Nganga Wainaina, Oliver Kanyango Muthee, Gladys Kaari Justus and Osman Ibrahim. Abdihakim is Canadian, according to prosecutors.“The investigations into this matter are complex and transnational and would therefore require sufficient time and resources to uncover the entire criminal syndicate,” said Noordin Haji, director of public prosecutions. He said he has appointed a team of prosecutors to help ensure that the investigations are “meticulous and fast-tracked.”Canada has condemned the attack in Nairobi earlier this week.A spokesman for Global Affairs Canada says Canadian officials are aware of reports that a Canadian citizen was arrested in Kenya and that consular officials are in contact with Kenyan authorities to gather additional information.“Consular services are being provided to the family of the individual,” said Global Affairs spokesman Philip Hannan, adding privacy laws prevent the disclosure of any further information.Police earlier identified a Kenyan military officer as the father of another suspect in the assault. The son, Ali Salim Gichunge, as well as Violet Kemunto Omwoyo, were named as attackers in court documents.“The attackers were in constant communications with several phone numbers which are located in Somalia,” prosecutors said.Gichunge’s father, who is not believed to have been involved in the attack, was summoned for questioning about when he last saw his son and other details, a senior police official said. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.The official said a total of 11 people were detained as part of the investigation.The attack was denounced on Friday in Eastleigh, a Nairobi neighbourhood that is home to many ethnic Somalis and has been targeted in massive police operations against suspected extremist cells. Shop owners temporarily closed businesses to protest extremism, and crowds gathered.Al-Shabab also carried out the 2013 attack at Nairobi’s nearby Westgate Mall that claimed 67 lives, and an assault on Kenya’s Garissa University in 2015 that killed 147 people, mostly students. While U.S. airstrikes and a multinational African Union force in Somalia have reduced the Islamic extremists’ ability to operate, al-Shabab is still capable of carrying out spectacular acts of violence in retaliation for the Kenyan military’s presence in Somalia.The attackers who stormed the hotel complex opened fire and set off grenades, sending panicked people running for cover as security forces converged. Security camera footage released later showed a suicide bomber blowing himself up in a grassy area.A hotel employee, seen in the footage walking past the bomber just before the explosion, described in an interview with Kenya’s K24 television how he heard the man talking on a mobile phone.“Where are you guys?” the agitated bomber said at least a couple of times, according to Abdullahi Ogelo, the employee. Ogelo, who later concluded the bomber had been talking to his accomplices, said the man was also moving his hand over his chest.Seconds later, the bomber detonated in a flash and billowing smoke.In the television interview, Ogelo said God saved him and gave him a “second chance.”—With files from The Canadian PressChristopher Torchia, The Associated Press
Sarah McLachlan wants to invite you to her house in Vancouver, and all you have to do is donate to charity.Spend the Day with Sarah McLachlan at Her Home Studioomaze.com is giving you the chance to get to know the Grammy Award-winning artist over lunch, where you’ll talk about anything and everything: life, love, music, animals. What happens next is up to you! You could write and record a song together, or just watch Sarah do her thing in the studio. You could have a heart-to-heart on the beach, or take Sarah’s adorable dog for a walk. However you spend your day together, you’re not building a mystery: It’s going to be awesome. Flights and hotel included.All you have to do is donate to the Sarah McLachlan School of Music, which provides top quality music instruction at no cost for over 1,000 at-risk and underserved kids in Vancouver, Surrey and Edmonton. They teach music, but also life skills like creativity, problem-solving, self-discipline and critical thinking. Sarah covers 100% of the administrative costs through her foundation, so your donation will go directly to the students’ education (including lessons and materials, instruments, healthy snacks and transportation).The more you donate, the more chances you have to win.To find out more, click here.