Almost eight weeks after the West Coast Demerara (WCD) access road was discovered to be deteriorating mere months after its official commissioning, the two contractors responsible for the works have completed rehabilitation works.Residents in the Vreed-en-Hoop area, where construction, was ongoing explained that the works were officially completed on Saturday by BK International and Surrey Paving and Aggregate Company Limited.Coordinator/Chief of Works attached to the Public Infrastructure Ministry, Geoffrey Vaughn noted that the Ministry would be looking closely at quality control to ensure that the road met the required standard.Asked if he is concerned about the quality of work done by the contractors,The rehabilitated section of the Vreed-en-Hoop roadVaughn said he was quite satisfied as residents hardly complained of the road not being up to standard. He added that the Ministry will, however, continue to monitor the West Coast roads, and will check with residents to ensure no other section is deteriorating.Guyana Times reported early last month that the companies began drilling holes to surround the sunken area while conducting tests to find out what was the cause.Residents started worrying as the road works began with hardly any reflectors being used in the construction area.In fact, the Police in D Division (West Demerara-East Bank Essequibo) even confirmed the death of a pedestrian in the area.Guyana Times was told that the pedestrian, Rafeek Khan, 46, also known as “Buck Man”, of Plantain Walk, West Bank Demerara succumbed to his injuries on November 15, after he was struck by a motor car while attempting to cross the road from south to north.This newspaper understands that that section of the road began deteriorating as a result of faulty foundation works previously conducted on the newly-commissioned road.A senior Ministry official had made it clear that the contractors were standing the expenses to conduct repairs to the road, under the defect liability clause in the contract.He explained during a telephone interview that the contract has a defect liability period, which means any defects, which develop – in this case over a year’s time – would have to be repaired by the contractors and not the Ministry.The project, which was undertaken to the tune of some $9.7 billion, was only completed this year.
0Shares0000Harambee Starlets players line up before their game against Equatorial Guinea at the Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos. PHOTO/Timothy OlobuluNAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 16 – The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has rejected Football Kenya federation’s appeal over the inclusion of Equatorial Guinea back into the African Women’s Cup of Nations (AWCON) at their expense.According to the federation, CAS wrote to them Friday morning informing them of the decision, but the federation through its communication chief Barry Otieno says they will still pursue the case. “The final decision by the President of the Appeals Division was to unfortunately reject our application for provisional measures, and we fully understand and respect the decision of the CAS,” FKF said in its statement.The Federation had sought provisional measures over CAF to incorporate Kenya into the Cup of Nations which begins on Saturday in Ghana or failing to this, injunct and suspend the entire tournament until a rightful decision has been made.But the prayers were thrown out by the Swiss based court meaning Equatorial Guinea’s participation in the Cup of Nations remains valid.“Our appeal against CAF is still open, and we will continue to fight for justice to be done in some way, to repair the harm that has been caused to our Starlets, and the people of our nation. We will continue to fight at CAS in order to demonstrate that we as a federation will not sit back and simply accept routine and blatant regulatory breaches that impact the progression of our teams, national or otherwise,” further stated the stern worded statement from Kandanda House.It is a huge heartbreak for Starlets who had already gone into camp for the tournament and had also played a friendly match against Ghana’s Black Queens in readiness for their second appearance at the tournament.FKF had moved to the Arbitration court to protest Equatorial Guinea’s inclusion in the tournament by the CAF Appeals Board with the regional body’s disciplinary board having suspended them for fielding an ineligible player in the two-legged qualifier against Kenya.However, the West Africans still remain suspended by FIFA over the same wrongdoing and even if they finish in the top three at the AWCON, they will not qualify for next year’s World Cup in France.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)